Monday, February 2, 2009

Sunday Morning in the Caymans

Awake and ready for worship at the Caymans Baptist Church. We arrive early because the "One Voice" group had to practice some. I felt a little sad because this was a mission trip and I hadn't done anything that to me was "mission-like". I decided that if there was not anything else for me to do I could welcome people to church, so I did. Great time! met lots of folk and from all kind of places. South Africa, Canada, Philippines, Cuba, England, Missouri to name a few. Really fun. Now I hadn't counted on the temperature and the fancy pants I had on having a conflict but when i went bad into the church I had great big wet spots down my thighs. Good Grief! It looked like I'd had a wet baby on my lap! I could just imagine what I looked like from the back, which is where most folk could see me from. Good service, Chuck Kelly did the message. He's from the New Orleans Seminary. I gave him a 7.6 over all. The thing that impressed me most was the opening prayer that was given by a man known by all members and who was a founder. There was nothing special about his words but you could see this man's heart as he walked to the stage. One tear, then another came down his face and as he pray a blessing on that new building the tears rolled down his face. You could see the miracle in his face. GLORY! I tell you there was not a greater message given in word or song than the one that this man gave as he opened his heart up for all to see. WOW, GLORY TO GOD!

OK, off to lunch with Beth, our hostess, and "Gram" her mother. Such a sweet lady. You could see where Beth got her sweet spirit from. Lunch was dynamite. There wasn't anything that wasn't wonderful. Gram made real homemade mac and cheese! It was great. I hadn't had anything that good in a long time. Beth's brother and wife were there too and they are some fine folk. I tell you I haven't met anyone that was not a nice person and the love of that faith family was so strong and visible. After lunch Beth took us back to her house and we walked to "Seven Mile Beach." This beach had sand, well some sand and a whole bunch of native type people playing volley ball! at least 5 games going on at that one time. I walked out a ways in the water and COLD! well, not that cold. Probably 72 but wow beautiful water. If you stepped on the rock you knew it. Tough on the feet, real tough. On the way we saw a bright green iguana crossing the rode. I can't get over the iguanas and chichens that just wander around. They say you can eat both, both! Well, I guess if you put enough ketsup on something anyone will eat it, maybe not.

Back for the concert and it went well, but the Caymans Baptist Church is maintaining the baptist tradition of having most of the congregation staying home on sunday nights.

After the concert we were back at Beth's to enjoy more fellowship and to pack because tomorrow we would be headed back to the reality of Mississippi.

No comments: