Thursday, February 12, 2009

Nothing but fear itself.

Churchill or Roosevelt? Do you know who said that and Why?

We all face challenges in life, all of us no matter who we are. Those that think they are "hard" and don't are liars and will probably be a failure if not already experience failure. I've learned that the best way to overcome fear is to gain in knowledge. Example, snakes, oh yea, it's in your head now right. Most folk I know fear the little crawly things. I took a young friend from my church to scout out a location for a little retreat one spring. As we walked back to the car with thoughts in our heads of this beautiful little creek area and the potential for a great experience for our youth my friend froze in his tracks. I was right beside him in a some what safer spot in this world. Right in front of his right foot was a small rattle snake. The warm weather had brought this little guy out. I guess it was a reflex but I pull the blade from the sabut on my back. I usually carried a large blade with me any time I was in the woods. I quickly dismissed the rattler from this world. Not much to me but I thought I was going to get a bar and prior my friend loose and to this day he claims I saved his life. Needless to say he walked slower and more cautious the remainder of the trail back. I recognized the snake but knew there wasn't much danger because of the time of year and the weather. Sure danger was present, a snake that is very poisonous, but my KNOWLEDGE of snakes gave me an edge.

Lots of things we face are like snakes, they cast fear into us, they paralyze us, they keep us from getting to where we need to be. To overcome those fears we have to learn about them, gain knowledge about them. How does that happen? YOU GOT ME!

Not really, just kidding. You read, study, experience, and ask those who have read, studied, and experienced that fear of . It not an age thing either. Young or old, we all face fears.

When I was a youngun I was afraid of the dark. I guess that was because I saw a ghost in my hall one night. Really, no joke. Thank God for those covers on my bed that protected me that night. I'm not afraid of the dark any more but I still respect it because it covers up a lot of dangerous things like the edge of the coffee table. I remember when my first daughter was very young and fell out of her bed. She "sounded her alarm" and I ran to her room which was across the entire house. Full speed sprint, leaving her mother in my dust. Now as you know I'm not a little person but I didn't touch one thing on the way. Not the couch, not a table, lamp, door, heck I'm not sure I touched the carpet. My experience at moving through the house so many times lead me that night. My mind knew what was where and I was not. Boo-ya! I impress myself sometimes.

Anyway the title, "nothing but fear itself", is from Roosevelt and relates the the big war, WWII. The war my dad was in, the one that my uncle died in, the war to end all wars. He used it to address our nation. To encourage America because he knew tough times were ahead. People were going to die, sacrifces were going to have to be made by most if not all. The fears that would come could be overcome because of what we were. A great nation with a great heritage that stood for things that were right and just.

Another man said this "fear not for I have overcome, defeated, smashed and 'busted up' this world". He also said "in this world you, my children, will experience trials and fears and doubts but remember, always remember, I have overcome, defeated, smashed, and 'busted up' this world and will always be here with you." (Walden paraphrase) That guy is my father. I am a child of the KING, the CREATOR, the SUPPLIER, the MOST HIGH GOD, The LORD JESUS CHRIST. And that a good thing.

WOW! Glory to God

No comments: