Friday, January 30, 2009

DAY TWO IN PARADISE?

With three vans we had thought that we would have three options to choose from for the day's activities. Snorkeling, sight seeing, eats, etc... Well, didn't work out the way I thought it would. I really wanted to make a dive. I love SCUBA. If not a dive then let's go snorkel with the "rays". I was the only one who wanted to do this. The only one! and of course that would create problems because there was not enough transport to carry everyone to the places they wanted to go and me to where I needed to go. Reluctantly I went with the crowd. First stop "St. Pedro's Castle". Early in the life of the island nation there were the "big houses" where the family live and managed there slaves. Kinda like a plantation in the south. Beautiful surroundings and it excited me to be standing where the few men made the plans for a new nation and were the proclamation was read to free all from slavery on the three islands. You almost loose the magic of the events because of the beauty of the flowers and unique plants. The man that shared the importance of each area of the house was a direct descendant of the first family on the island. Folk that live on the Caymans are called Caymanians. They are descendants of the families on the island or of a great importance that they are granted resident status. Every one else is either a tourist like me or a 7 year person. You can stay on the islands for 7 years but after that you have to leave for a year before you can return! Really. I met lots of folk that were due to rotate off the island. One poor English girl was going to leave in a few months but didn't want to go because she had gotten a dog as a pup and now was very close to him. Yes, she could take him with her when she left but it would cost $5,000! POOR GIRL! I tell you Randi would have a ticket right beside me on the plane. I couldn't and wouldn't leave my boy behind. Many of these folk are hired by some company and then when their time is up they send them home and hire some more. I met a bunch of guys from the Philippines. They had been hired to work at a restaurant and were about to go home.
Next we when to lunch at a place called the "light house." Right on the water, beautiful. We actually saw some turtles swimming in the surf.

Good grief, I just couldn't get use to everyone driving on the wrong side of the road. Last night, dark dark dark, when we were driven home I sat in the front seat and was about to mess myself! Cars coming at me and those round-abouts LORD watch over me. I finally closed my eyes. Libby thought it was funny. Ha Ha Libby Ha Ha.

Anyway after lunch we went to the botanical gardens and oh my, beautiful flowers everywhere! I mean every where. All colors, all sizes, vines, trees, shrub, in the water, on a tree, coming out of a rock everywhere. Blue Iguana, big lizard animals, are found only on this island and we werelucky to see several of different size and color. Very cool. Quite a hike, ha ha Libby ha ha. Libby thought we were lost. Ha ha. Anyway we finally made it back to the visitor center 15 minutes before we were told to be back but all the others were ready to go or gone.

Shopping time. One place that was recommended was like they had everything that was made in China and Mexico. OK, not all but it looked that way. Another place was supposed to be a special place for black coral jewelry. The guy that ran it was called "Dr. Love". It was a shack with hundreds of pairs of panties hanging from the ceiling. Someone asked him what kind of doctor he was. His answer was "LOVE." Believe me, this guy was doctor of love. His claim to fame was jars of marbles on selves and the panties hanging from the ceiling. Poor guy. Well he did have some black coral jewelry. He said before it was outlawed to harvest the Black Coral he dove off the reef and collected enough for the next 15 years. OK...

OK back to the house for dinner. A fine meal that our hostess prepared. We always had fresh fruit. Wonderful fresh fruit so full of flavor that you could make a whole meal from the fruit. WOW what a meal, what a hostess. During and after the meal wonderful conversation was wonderful. We Libby and I learned more about Beth and her family. Beth is a Caymanian.

Any way, I came here on mission and I haven't found it yet. Maybe tomorrow as the Group sings in worship time.

No comments: