Monday, April 20, 2009

Confused?
How do you define the word "gift"? Something given to you by some one else. OK, not bad. How 'bout something special given to you by someone? Maybe, something special given to you by someone for a specific task determined by the person who gave the gift to you. Good grief! Is a gift suppose to have catches? Man, I'm confused! If there are catches with gifts then I'm going to give my son-in-law a hammer and get him to build a fence for me. That's only one catch but a good one for me.
I thought a gift was something special that you wanted that you didn't have that some one special would give you with no strings attached. I got a "thing" one time from a kid at school. I'm sure it was supposed to be special and it was because the boy gave it to me but I had no idea what it was for. Turned out to be a "deer call" like thing that most if not all hunters would love. Of course I don't hunt because it costs to much. If I did hunt I would have been excited about receiving this "deer calling" thing.
Today I had lunch with this guy that is a "minister". I find that most ministers are actually supped up Sunday school teachers. They haven't been formally trained or school related to the life of Christ or the WORD of God. "They are confused." The subject of his conversation was God giving us gifts. Of course we agreed about the Spiritual gifts although I don't think he is very knowledgeable about that but when he started saying that God had given him the gift of "teaching math" I reminded him that he had practiced his gift at my school and I thought that God was pulling a practical joke on him. His view point of gift was maybe a little off when it came to specific abilities provided by God to fulfill His will in this world. I explained that God provided all abilities to fulfill his will and that was that. We take the abilities given us and develop them to what our interests and opportunities are and fulfill God's will with that. If we get the opportunity to serve then the development of those abilities will determine how and to what degree we can do that.
Gifts?? Confusing?? YES!

No comments: