Monday, March 2, 2009

Soon and very soon.

I love this old song that says "soon and very soon we are going to be with God." It kinda matches with a lot of other things besides Jesus, like leaving one profession for another.

I loved coaching 7th & 8th graders. Now that was a group that were so confused they didn't have time to think about the near or far future. Everything was possible with those guys. They could see themselves catching a touchdown pass by diving over a horse drawn carriage with one hand with their wearing a red and black golf glove that their dad gave them when it got to small for him. Once you show them that you love them they will do all they can for you. Great times.

I loved working with high school students and young college men and women during the summers at the YMCA pools. Lots of work but great kids. These guys needed a job to help go to college and I meant for them to earn their money as well as get some unexpected education on life while with me. I'm so proud of those guys and girls.

I've loved most of what I have done during my life as a profession, and now that I'm at a point to "maybe" start another career I'm really puzzled. I decided to list things that I enjoy doing and see which one would be the best for me to pursue.

Top 6 (I've been into the listing lately haven't I.) I like to do.
1. Eating - NOPE
2. Playing with Randi - NOPE
3. Being with my family - NOPE
4. Building stuff - MAYBE
5. Talking and sharing about the LORD - MAYBE
6. Sitting in the tub with the bubble machine blowing while I read. - NOPE

Top 6 things I don't like to do.
1. Cut grass
2. Paint
3. Vacuum
4. Exercise
5. Sing in front of folk
6. Study stuff that is boringgggggg

Top 6 professions I might like to do.
1. Pilot
2. Deep sea diver
3. Radio talk show host
4. Butcher
5. General in the army
6. Preacher

So where do I go from here?? (If you have a suggestion please comment so I can take another step.) OK, one more list today.

Top 12 professions I'm not going to do. (doubled because there are lots of things I ain't gonna do)
1. Salesman of any kind
2. Principal
3. Social worker
4. Music director
5. Truck driver
6. Sex therapist (had to put something in to embarrass my children and wife)
7. Fruit picker (maybe nose picker, sorry remember the family?)
8. Cable guy
9. Actor
10.Ole Miss Coach
11.Banker
12.Night watchman

OK the search is on for the next career for an old fat guy with lots of little people experience and a bunch of big people experience.

No comments: