Thursday, March 5, 2009

Rave 2 for march 5th, 2009.

This is a continuation of "Rave 1" when I share a few friend and influential people.

11. Kenneth Quinn - my first and bestest art teacher ever. A man that taught me more than he will ever know. Self discipline, caring for others, fun with "different medias" and "dry brushing". He had a way of letting you know that class was almost over, I'll never forget. "T minus 10 and counting, T minus 10." So well organized. Big impact on me. I had the privilege of working beside him as a co-worker years after I was in his class. I was still learning from him in those years. I once told him after a funeral we both attended that what ever I gained, what ever success I would experience, he would have to take some blame or credit for it. I meant it. Outstanding artist, outstanding!

12. Pogo - my really first dog and best friend. Fox Terrier, big long nose. When we got him he had "seed ticks" covering his face. I treated him and his hair fell out. Later it grew back and he was beautiful black and brown with a touch of white. He was my boy. He would attack my dad when he would slap me on the arm. Poggi died of cancer 1971. My best friend.

13. Marcellus Gilmore Edson of Montreal, Quebec. "Marci Marc", the guy that invented Peanut Butter. Makes my life a little better each day.

14. Joseph C. Gayetty, "Joey C", the inventor of packaged toilet paper in America. Makes my life a bit more comfortable and yours too I'm sure.

15. Floyd Franklin Smith, Coach Smith - my first football coach. Taught me so much about life and caring at a time in my life that I REALLY needed someone to care. Not the greatest teacher but a good man. I patterned a several parts of my life after him. He got me a summer college job as a life guard/custodian at a country club (I think it was more custodian/pool boy). This later lead to me working with the YMCA and training my own life guards and running the pools. A real special time when I was able to help some young folk with summer jobs that needed them and help a few that had some other needs. Glory.

16. Larry Thompson - Room mate in college. Larry was a wild man in high school. We had gone to Jr. High together. No way I was going to room with that guy because he was to wild but it turned out that God got Larry and it was for real. He was a Churchman All-American two years (not much to get excited about) but he got the honor not me. He played offense but wouldn't have been able to cut it with us defense folk. Anyway, Larry got married his Junior year To Debbie (a most wonderful girl, pretty too) and after graduation went on staff with Campus Crusade for Christ. He ended up in Europe behind the Iron Curtain raising God's army and eventually was the director over there. I love Larry, the kind man I wanted to be.

17. Uncle Windell Anglin - my mom's brother who fought in WWII and drove a truck for Rider. A real hero to me. Reminded me of Walter Mattheau because he was so laid back and did his thing. Told great stories, but most of all was a great encourager. Very special to me. Dead now.

18. "Lucky" Lloyd Knott - The trainer while I was at State. He used several miles of tape on my ankles, knees, and other body parts. A good friend of small statue and big heart. Smarter than he ever thought but I knew better. If you ever needed someone he was there. I always thought Lucky would go into politics, he just had "it."

No comments: