Monday, March 8, 2010

Seems to me there is change in the air. When I was a kid I wanted to be superman. There was a lot of power in a bath towel wrapped around your neck when you turned on your imagination. Yes a "comic book hero" but in those days a darn good one. What could be more character building or a better role model than someone that stood for truth, justice and the American way, and of course FLY! I loved X-Men too. I would get up early on a Saturdays and watch the cartoons as long as they were on the tube. It was fantastic.

Now days though, if you want to watch cartoons you get funny looking creatures. Not funny dogs or cats or funny people but you get creatures with no names. What it that thing?!

Somebody started saying how violent the cartoons were so folks started changing them. Well what now?Alice in Wonderland! Of course in Insane-Vision. Yea I know old Alice was never the most calming movie and was very confusing to me but it had little rabbits running around and funny flower things. It was "CUTE." I even saw the triple x rated Alice, not one of my best decisions in life, terrible and nasty too i regret it to this day. THIS VERY DAY. I guess that is why they call it triple x. Today you can see the NEW Alice in Wonderland and if previews are any indication of ... calming entertaining value, you need to do the "run away" when you get near it.

Be that one side of the coin, if you saw "Up" or "Avatar" the future of animation and computer generated features are unlimited. I still want to be Superman or maybe Hulk, yea Hulk, but to see maybe "Treasure Island" or "Song of the South" staring Rabbit and Tar Baby, WOW that would be entertainment.

I could talk about adult decisions that cast young high schoolers into a musical where folk get their throats cut only to end up in a "meat pie." I just think there are better things out there that are just as testing of talent and desire than "SWEENY TODD." Oh crap, I promised i wouldn't blog at you about that musical that I named completely by accident. I'm old and I could go a lot more years before I reach the dirt stage and still not have seen that show. (OK, let me say the shame of it is that the wonderfully talented students that put this musical on could have been tested and enjoyed the production as much and maybe more if it had been something light and with a good moral story. one that didn't include PEOPLE GETTING THEIR THROATS SLICED WITH A RAZOR!

I've got it! How about Shrek 4, My Swamp is filling up with poo. In a musical form that could be a side splitter, and I don't mean with a RAZOR!



No comments: