Monday, August 1, 2011

Someting Smells Unholy

I'm sure you know and are aware of the recent resignation of the pastor at First Baptist Church.

I'm compelled to comment because I am a "Deacon" at this Large Old Church.

First, let's note that the pastor, Dr. Buckley, is not a close friend and I have had limited contact with this gentleman dispite being a deacon. What I Know as fact is that Dr. Buckley is a Christian man or of great intelligence. I know that he is very knowledgeable of the WORD of God and that he can teach the Bible with confidence. Dr. Buckley has a family and a wife and as far as I can tell he does a good job at being a father and husband.
Second, let me present several facts related to the Senior Pastor's ministry and relationship with the congregation of FBCJ. Dr. Buckley came from a church where the attendance in worship might be 400 on a good day. His previous church was a not so large church when compared to FBCJ. With that I would say that even the greatest preacher/pastor would he faced with challenges and probably make some mistakes. Some mistakes have been made, and everybody makes mistakes.

A large dissatisfaction with some "way we do things" became apparent after a "survey" was taken related to the changing of the "schedules" at FBCJ. The survey left no doubts that there was some division of the congregation of FBCJ in the way things were being done at FBCJ.

Dr. Buckley presented a major mission effort for the people for Haiti which produced a FBCJ giving effort of nearly $500,000. A wonderful mission project that has and continues to do many good things in that country and it's people. Except for a few procedural bumps the Haiti Project as gone very well and involved many members of FBCJ.

With this said let's be perfectly clear that NO "wrongful/bad stuff" have been said related to Dr. Stan Buckley. In my opinion he is a fine man that will continue to be used by God.

The facts continue:
Dr. Buckley has been out of the pulpit for a large number of Sundays for the last 3-4 months and decided to take advantage of a personnel policy that allows 7 weeks of sabbatical which he currently is enjoying.

Dr. Buckley resigned indicating that no one had asked him to resign and that God had given him release to leave FBCJ. Dr. Buckley also indicated that he had no plans to go to another church or organization. He resigned from his position of his on free will with no pressure from any group or individual.

Now comments on my part. If you are not under pressure from any group of individuals then where is the pressure coming from? WHAT IS THE DEAL??? We can then assume that Dr. Buckley had plans for his immediate future for maintaining his and his family's life style? or are we to assume that some "secret society" has taken it upon themselves to "help" FBCJ with it's problems?

It may be just me but if a man resigns from his job he HAS to have a plan to take care of the family or someone else has made a plan for him and his family. I don't mean GOD.

Recently the Deacon Body of FBCJ met to discuss the "transition" for Dr. Buckley. After much discussion, that group voted (split voted, As I saw it around 60/40) for a deal for Dr. Buckley. I will not go into the details because there are things being done as I write that may affect that deal. I will say this, if the deal goes as voted it will put Dr. Buckley in a position of putting FBCJ in a position of having to do better (increasing)in the area of "giving" than it has in the recent past or present under his leadership.

In my opinion either a deal was struck before any resignation was mentioned or Dr. Buckley is not the person I believe him to be by creating a very difficult situation for the staff and congregation of FBCJ.

Now don't take me wrong, we are talking about FBCJ which has a great tradition of doing great things for God. This is the same body of believers that raise over $500,000 for the building of a community in Haiti above the regular giving. The same FBCJ that has planted so many churches that are standing on their own and growing. But, don't take me wrong and do take me as the straight up person I am saying something just ain't right with this.

Dr. Stan Buckley will preach his final sermon as pastor of FBCJ on August 14. He has indicated that he will be more specific in his reasoning of resigning at that time. So I will save my final thoughts to the "POST DR. BUCKLEY ERA."










No comments: