Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veterans Day - a legal holiday observed in commemoration of the end of hostilities in 1918 and 1945.


VETERAN - A person who has long time experience in the armed forces.


I'm not a "vet" but I'm well represented by my family. My uncle Hubert Anglin was in the Navy in the Pacific during WWII. He survived that war. My uncle Wendall Anglin was Airborne Army "parachuter" in Europe during WWII. He survived. My Uncle Wayburn Anglin was in the Army in Europe during WWII. He didn't make it home... died in a forest in Germany. My Dad was in the Army in Europe during WWII. He Drove in the "Red Ball Express."


I'm proud of my family that were a part of the American forces. Very proud, but there are others that make me stand in honored of the Veterans in my life.


The war that effected me most was the Vietnam War. It was my time, the time when I was young and had friends there and some didn't make it home. Most did make it back but they all left something in that country. It brings tears to my eyes and sadness to my soul to think about Vietnam. Perhaps I should had gone to Nam but I didn't because my draft number was 126. The year of my draft group the draft went through 123. Didn't bother me back then because no one wanted to go to Nam, well, no one with any sense. It was when I got to college and was playing football that I met a Sargent in ROTC that told me stories, real stories of what was really happening in Vietnam. From then on I've felt like I was suppose to go with my friends, that I might have let one of them down by not being there with them.


When I see how war has affected so many that made that journey into the face of death I am so thankful, but i hurt for them too. We who have not experience the sacrifice and hurt that war brands on lives cannot honor Vets enough.


It bothers me today that our nation has taken advantage of our armed forces with out repaying Vets for what they give willingly. Make God for us for not honoring these folk more and repaying them in every way available.


God bless the Veterans of the United States of America.




No comments: