Thursday, August 27, 2009

When do I get something?
I see so many people who are constantly wanting something that they think is their "right."

"Rights", as defined by Merrian-Webster's dictionary, "something to which someone has a just claim or which one may properly claim as due, a power of privilege to which one is justly entitled."

"Rights", as defined by Big Bob, "something that is genuinely yours because of payment in a form accepted by mankind whether it be financial, effort based, not free because someone told you it was."

Let's use the example of education, a topic I should know about due to my 36 years in the field. The United States constitution guarantees the right for US citizens to free education. The truth is at the expense of the citizens of the United States. This does not mean free day care for pre-K through 12 grade. This does not mean free breakfast and lunch. This does not mean free transportation to and from anything related to school functions.

To those who want to claim all those "rights" I say, "WHEN DO I GET SOMETHING?" When do I get the respect I have earned by putting up with the disrespect? When do I get the pay I've earned by being on the bottom of the salary scale for 36 years? When do I get the support needed to do what some many think I can but is impossible without support from the family that doesn't exist?

For those who will listen, it is my "right" to expect something different . I've earned it!

No comments: