Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Not The Old Days

How Much More?



College sports keeps throwing up signs that ought to stop us from believing in their virtue, and yet we keep running right through them. How much longer 'til we reach a tipping point?
 
This is one of the articles on an ESPN site this morning. Brought some thoughts to me that I'd like to share.
 
Now I can speak because I played, I coached, and I watched the game but also experience the game.
 
The people that mean most to me outside my family are my old teachers and coaches. I never had to worry about one of them mistreating me or leading me in the wrong direction. Never! They spoke the way people of influence should. They acted the way people of influence should. The dressed the way people of influence should. They expected of me like people of influence should. I was surely inspired by many people in the spot light because they had done things that I thought were unattainable for me. I knew that as I began to have opportunities to be a part of the "TEAMS" there was more expected of me than just the average guy. I signed my first autograph August 1972. I remember the thought, "you want my autograph? Why do you want my autograph?" I wasn't a starter for the Bulldogs but this young boy seems to think because i was a player for Mississippi State I was worthy of him having my autograph. It was a great day for me. I quickly developed "my autograph" that of course contained a scripture verse, Phil. 4:13. For the next 3 years i was called upon to speak for the MSU Fellowhsip of Athletes across the state of Mississippi.  It was a privilege to represent the University, my fellow players, and our LORD. Later I began to coach and teach young. I knew the responsibility people had placed on me coaching their sons and daughters. I do not think they ever doubted me efforts to protect their children in every way. Today those kids are my other sons and ddaughters. I will never forget them. I may not recognize them because they are big people now but their memories are that of more than just kids i taught or coached. In 1989 i began my administrative career and I missed the coaching but because of the position I held I felt greater responsibility not only to protect but to guide into the future. Have I failed? Yes, many times but there are a lot of wins. Have I lost some? yes, too many. Drowned, shot, car accident, prison, drugs, gangs, guns, hateful parents, rape, murder, and more.
The WINS, oh yes!!! Doctors, lawyers, truck drivers, business men, pastors, military, professors, teachers, coaches, assistant principals, principals, therapists, mothers, daddys, and more that really count to the world.
 
Everybody can play sports of one kind or another. It makes no difference in their size, shape, speed, or color. I had one boy, name was Pit. To small to not be in some body's shade, but what a heart. I was afraid to let him play his first year because he was so small but turn him loose and he was like a dog after a rabbit. he might caught the rabbit and the rabbit drag him around but he was never letting go. GREAT KID! 
 
OK, rambled some but my rant is related to  College athletes now. What is wrong with college football?
 
LIST ALERT!
1, NO ATHLETIC DORM
2. HIGH SCHOOL PROGRAMS TO MUCH LIKE COLLEGE
3. PARENTS THAT HAVE LEARNED THE VALUE OF A SCHOLARSHIP
4. PROFESSIONAL SPORTS
5. TV
6. EGOS
7. CHEERLEADERS DRESS LIKE "HOES"
8. CHEER TEAMS, DANCE TEAMS DRESSED LIKE "HOES"
9. SUGAR DADDY ALUMNI, FRIENDS OF THE UNIVERSITY
10. DRUGS
11. MONEY!
 
It doesn't take a genus to see the signs that the entire NCAA program in way out of control. THE TIPPING POINT? TOO LATE!!

No comments: