Monday, November 7, 2011

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Great weekend for College football. If you like that kind of stuff. Of course I watched the highly talked about Alabama LSU game. Well, I watched some of it. I knew going in that Alabama had the best defense I've ever seen on a college team but expected the LSU Tigers to test it. Before the game i was predicting a 27- 21 Alabama victory but as I watched the game stretch out I knew that two factors would determine the real winner. One: Coaching decisions (right thing at the right time) and two: team execution (doing what should be done at the right time.)
Now I must say my love for the game greatly diminished after playing for 10 years. it occurred when i went to a game what i watched the team I had played on play against I don't remember who. What happened you ask and I know you asked. I heard what YOU say when things don't go just wonderfully on the field. The shouting at, the talking down to, the blame, OMG! I never had any idea of what was going one up in the stands while I was playing as hard as I could with a sprain knee, a pulled groin, a hiper extended elbow, cuts over my eyes or some virus that caused me to loose 18 pounds in one afternoon. OK, there it is. That is why many old player don't go to games and that is why I don't enjoy going either. Of course you engineering majors, the liberal arts folk and business guys love the trips back to campus. To some folk it is more that some drinks, some chicken, some dip you can't pronounce and some special chips that you can only find and get at that "place" and they actually taste like the Kroger brand.
I can go for the snacks and even seeing some old friends but the hike, the climb, the noise, the excited red-necks that must not have a life outside of the seasonal killing off of live animal, football, putting bigger wheels on there trucks and the making of babies. THAT IS NOT FOR ME!.

OH, back to the game. I can sum up the entire night by saying this. You may see another game in your life time that puts two teams of close match as these two were but you probably will never see two teams as good as those to teams ever play again. NO NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP NOTHING. THESE ARE THE TWO BEST TEAMS IN THE COUNTRY AND WE'LL PROBABLY NEVER SEE A SO CLOSELY MATCH GAME OF GOOD ATHLETES AND COACHES AGAIN. It only happens twice in each EON.

Be that a it may be, Les Myles is the luckiest Coach ever right? Of course right, but luck has nothing to do with execution by players. Doing what you have been coached is what make things look like luck. The players for LSU won this game because they did what they were supposed to do when it counted. Whether first play or last execution execution execution.

Nick, tough game bro, but kick, kick, kick. Nick please!!  50+ yards to give field position away. Nicky baby!?!?! No national championship for you.

Lastly, if you want to have fun and get a few laughs go to the park when the first and second grade soccer teams are playing. Carry a cooler and some samwiches. the parents and kids will give you a laugh if the parents don't. You might get a since of what sports are all about anyway.

WAIT! one more thing to ponder. It has to do with two people. One is a Bama student. J Finley, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film. he is mentioned in this article related to the cost of a ticket for the Bama LSU game.

Most Alabama students paid $5 for a ticket to Saturday’s game against LSU, but for some fans, the cost of attendance may be hundreds or even thousands of dollars.

Statewide website AL.com reported there were two tickets for sale on Stubhub.com for a seat in row 25 of the lower level north end zone for $10,423.14 each. The tickets are no longer available.
Will Flaherty, director of communications for SeatGeek.com, a search engine that pulls together ticket listings from all major secondary ticket websites, said the average ticket price of sold tickets on their website is $606.

For comparison, tickets to Game 7 of this year’s World Series averaged $601 on SeatGeek, tickets to Game 5 of the NBA Finals averaged $686, tickets to last year’s BCS National Championship game averaged $1,351, and tickets to last year’s Super Bowl averaged $3,067.13, Flaherty said.

“This is a demand we’ve never seen in our two years of doing this,” Flaherty said. “The ticket prices are astronomically expensive, but there are tickets still available. I think it really speaks to just how great these two teams are. They have two loyal fan bases and are a drivable distance away, which really allows people to spend more money on their game tickets.”

Many UA students have posted their tickets on websites such as StubHub.com and Facebook Marketplace to make a profit.

J Finley, a senior majoring in telecommunication and film, said he was selling his ticket to Saturday’s game for $300.

“This ticket and game tickets in general are a great source for extra income,” Finley said. “I don’t have a job, so this is basically like my paycheck. This ticket is one of the most valuable tickets I’ve sold in my four years of flipping tickets. I’d rather watch the game in the comfort of my home instead of standing up for three hours.”

UA student Corey Neill said he was asking for $300 because that’s how much it’s worth to him to miss the game.

“I could definitely use the extra money for bills, but I would also love to go to the game myself,” Neill said. “I can remember paying $230, including an upgrade fee, to go to the Tennessee game when I had just transferred in and feel like this is a much more important game. I think it’s a lot of money for one game, but at the same time, I could see myself spending just as much if I didn’t have a ticket.”

Doug Walker, associate athletics director at the University, said the face value of tickets to attend Saturday’s game is $85, regardless of whether the seats are on the 50-yard line or in the upper deck.

The other person.... I don't know his name. He is one of the 34,000 children that die daily of preventable diseases. One of those that live without fresh water. Makes you want to question how many tickets does it take to put a fresh water well in a nation to provide water to those in need. 59!



No comments: