Monday, February 15, 2010

So Right and From the Past


I went to the Dixie National Rodeo Saturday night. Usually would not have gone but I'm doing that "stepping out" thing. So I found myself standing in the middle of the coliseum playing "undercover cop person" and watching the prelims where they move the broncs into position in the fences. OK, the "undercover cop person" thing is for another time but it's my way of acting the usual fool and activating other folks' curiosity. It is rather fun.

Anyway, what I want to share today is something that happened that brought me to tears in front of all those folk.

So, this is how it happened:
-Little Exchange Club lady says, "They're "a fixing" to turn the lights out so you'd better go find you seat."
-So, I sorta did but since I was by myself, seeing the singing group was "a fixing" to sing in a few music and I thought I could just stand there till they got though.
-The lights did go out and I mean it was booger dark. There was some of that patriotic stuff and a few solders walked out proudly in their uniforms.
-Every body started clapping and it was cool.
-Then the singing group started to sing the National Anthem and it happened! No fire works, no video on the big screen, and no beautiful girls wearing that satin shirts stuff and riding their horses around.

JUST SILENCE!

Not one sound outside the choir. It was kinda like standing next to a wood burning stove when you've just walked in from the freezing cold and the warmth penetrates you jeans.

I first became aware of the silence and then the FACT that EVERYONE had stopped moving, speaking, laughing, everything... They had risen to their feet, removed their hats and placed their heart over their hearts to salute the nation, not their race, their color or their religion that the anthem's message sang out. It was almost worship or maybe it was, but it was respect, loyalty, honor, and belief in the United States of America. It almost embarrassed me when i caught myself slowly looking around and realizing that I was one of the very few that was not standing at attention and in reverence. It was at that second that it hit me how great it is to be a part of the USA and a part of a body of folk that were united in that purpose.

Since 1974 I have stood with thousands of kids and adults and had to put up with their disrespect towards the United States in assemblies. We've given up trying to pledge the flag and sing the national anthem. What a shame! and I am sorry to say that I am apart of that problem. I supervised these events, with little authority and decided it's a fight that is too hard to fight. LORD forgive me.

I think I'll be going back to the DIXIE NATIONAL RODEO again and not just to see the little guys riding the bare back horses being thrown into the dirt. I'll go back to be with a very large group of people that take the the respect and loyalty for the USA seriously.

One more thing, if you ever find this at a basketball game or a football game please let me know where it happens. I' like to see that too, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

No comments: