Tuesday, February 9, 2010

NOT YOUR GRAND MOTHER'S FUNERAL

I've been to my share of funerals in my life. I don't like them. I don't care to go but I do because it's the right thing to do. If I go it is with a tremendous effort on my part. Sorry but that is the way I am. I guess it goes along with the depression thing. If i go to your funeral you are special or my wife made me.

I went to a funeral today. This one was different, very different. This was a guy that I grew up with, I mean we really grew up together. He was 2 years younger than I but we experienced a lot together. Not just us but the whole family. His mom and dad were special. She help raise me and his dad was someone to look up to. His little brother was my "bud" too. I even took his sister to a high school dance, by the way it was a good time too. A every special family.

Well with all that you would thing it would just be a normal experience of a good friend's funeral. You know, sad, a few tears, see some old friends etc... Not this funeral. See we grew up together but then we went our own way. I went mine and kinda lost him. I knew he would make his mark in life but today I found out what he had been doing "the rest of his life."

While some make a mark, this guy made a giant colorful stroke that when even glanced at causes your deepest self worth to be envious. A great husband, dad, brother, son, cousin, friend, a selfless individual that devoted his time to making other better than they would have been without having had contact with him.

When my grandmother died I had a warning but with this guy... let me put it this way, the world was a better place with my friend in it. I never realized I would live in a world without him.

THANKS JEFF FOR ALL THE GOOD TIMES. I'LL SEE YOU SOMETIME IN MY FUTURE.




No comments: